At FreshGround, we place great importance on making a meaningful difference in the world. We’re committed to cultivating a spirit of generosity within our business and giving back is something we’ve done since we were founded over 40 years ago. As our business has grown, so has our giving.
We’re proud to actively support a number of local and national charities each year that are close to our hearts. Many of the charities we partner with have causes that have touched the lives of our family, friends, colleagues and clients.
Great Ormond Street Hospital
Over 23 years ago, the second grandchild of our founding partner was diagnosed with a lifelong debilitating condition. Great Ormond Street Hospital played a crucial role in their care and for this, and many other fantastic reasons, we take great pleasure in making charitable donations to support their work.
Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH) is one of the world’s leading children’s hospitals with a guiding mission to put the ‘child first and always’. Since its formation in 1852, the hospital has been dedicated to children’s healthcare and to finding new and better ways to treat childhood illnesses.
East Anglian Air Ambulance
East Anglian Air Ambulance exists to save lives by delivering highly skilled doctors and critical care paramedics by air or road to the seriously ill or injured. Since their launch in 2000, their team has attended over 30,000 lifesaving missions.
This charity covers FreshGround’s home region of Norfolk and also more widely, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and Bedfordshire – 24/7. The service receives no regular government funding and relies solely on the community and businesses like ours to keep their helicopters flying. We respect the work that they do and are proud to support them.
Rapid Relief Team
Inspired by community spirit and the gift of giving, the Rapid Relief Team (RRT) serves people with care and compassion in their time of need. Some of our team are actively involved and volunteer on a regular basis. They, alongside the hundreds of other volunteers across the world, provide tangible support to charities, government and emergency services in times of crisis.
FreshGround is committed to a sustainable future. We continuously strive to promote sustainability in all areas of the business including our products, facilities, operations and policies.
We’re committed to working towards operating in the most efficient and sustainable ways possible. This is important to us but also to our employees, our customers, our suppliers, our local communities, and the wider coffee industry we help represent.
- Our range of office coffee machines and water dispensers and taps have high-efficiency ratings and energy-saving functionality as standard. This not only helps the environment but it also saves our customers money.
- Single-use plastic is one of the biggest and most dangerous pollutants which is why we always promote the use of reusable cups and bottles. Our offices are free of single-use plastics and we encourage our customers to do the same.
- All of the water coolers that we offer are mains-fed models. We don’t offer any bottle-fed water coolers because they are not environmentally sustainable. We will always encourage customers to switch from bottle-fed to mains-fed water coolers meaning bottle production and emissions get reduced and fewer deliveries and collections also help to minimise transport emissions.
- We’ve implemented a number of green initiatives across our offices. Our head office is powered entirely via our on-site solar farm. We have PhotoVoltaic panels on the roof that capture the sun’s energy and convert it to electricity. We’re 100% self-sufficient during office hours and any extra energy, we simply sell back to the grid.
- In the office, we have installed auto-switch lighting. All of our lighting is switched on via motion sensors making us more energy efficient.
- We’re reducing our carbon footprint and continue to review our travel policy. We promote the use of electric transport and have electric car charging facilities on site. Our company vehicles are in the process of being replaced with either electric or hybrid vehicles in line with Government policy and timelines. Our fleet of technician vehicles is also Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) compliant to reduce the impact on the environment in London and other urban areas.
- Our team is committed to operating more sustainability and as such none of our waste goes to landfills. All of our outer packaging is made from FSC accredited recycled cardboard. Any non-environmentally friendly packaging materials have been audited and replaced with recycled and recyclable alternatives, where possible. We have a target to be 100% recyclable.
- We recycle everything we can and encourage our customers to do the same. The UK produces a quarter of a million tonnes of waste coffee grounds so we encourage our customers to partner with BioBeans Renewal to help reduce this. BioBeans send off used coffee grounds to their recycling factory in Cambridgeshire, where the grounds are dried, renewing them for reuse in valuable products to benefit both people and the planet.
- At FreshGround, we donate all our coffee grounds locally to vegetable growers as it makes for a brilliant fertiliser. Coffee grounds contain several essential nutrients such as nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus, along with micronutrients so it helps vegetables to grow and means that none of our coffee grounds goes to waste. There are actually lots of uses for coffee grounds that you can read about in our blog.
FreshGround’s premium range of coffees has at least 30% content grown and harvested on Rainforest Alliance Certified™ farms. Improving farmer livelihoods and investing in sustainable practices are important to us at FreshGround and important to the Rainforest Alliance.
The farms where our premium coffee is sourced all follow sustainable farming practices. Each one has met rigorous environmental criteria which helps farmers build climate resilience and protect soil health, waterways, tropical forests, and supports the overall ecosystem that’s vital to coffee crop production.
Choosing our coffee means that you’re supporting the Rainforest Alliance and helping to make a more sustainable future for everyone.
Upholding high standards is fundamental to the values and culture here at FreshGround. This is the key to earning and maintaining the trust of our customers, suppliers, employees and communities.
We’re committed to providing exceptional service to our customers. We have a number of policies in place to ensure we are fully compliant to give confidence and offer peace of mind to everyone we work with.
We are Safety Schemes in Procurement (SSIP) and PAS91 contractor accredited. These schemes prove that we meet all the necessary requirements around health and safety, equal opportunities, diversity and environmental management practices.
If you would like any other information surrounding any of our other policies including our Environmental Policy, Modern Slavery Policy, Anti-Bribery and Corruption Policy and our Equal Opportunities Policy, please just get in touch with Alun Simpson, Head of Legal & Compliance – firstname.lastname@example.org.